New Delhi Ear Center
Maulana Azad Medical College,
New Delhi, India
Dr. Arun K. Agarwal, Dean & Dir. -Prof. of ENT, Maulana Azad Medical College
Dr. Shelly Khanna Chadha
Professor of ENT, Maulana Azad Medical College
Mission Statement: Expanding Hearing Horizons
- To promote development of sustainable ear & hearing care.
- To collaborate with the government in developing a National Program for Ear & Hearing Care.
- To carry out relevant research in the field of deafness prevention & treatment.
- To serve as a center of excellence in the field of deafness prevention, treatment & rehabilitation
The center is situated in Maulana Azad Medical College, which is the largest medical College of India. It is attached to the Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital, which is the largest hospital of Delhi. It is a tertiary referral center, serving patients from all over the northern part of India.
The center offers a complete range of audiological services including audiometry, impaedance audiometry, OAEs testing, ABR testing, hearing aid fitting and testing as well as audiological and speech rehabilitation services.
Being a tertiary referral center, the center is well equipped with microscopes, drills, microdrills, micro-ear surgery instruments etc. There is the availability of 3 surgical tables six days per week.
The institute has over 1500 beds, of which 90 beds are dedicated to ear care services.
Being a tertiary referral center, there is the availability of all laboratory facilities. There is the availability of a well-stocked library. All such facilities, as are required for research in the field of otology and audiology are available. There is the presence of a department of preventive medicine, with epidemiologists and statisticians whose help is sought for carrying out population-based research and programs.
Temporal Bone laboratory:
The center has a large temporal bone lab and regularly scheduled courses. This is done in collaboration with the Department of Anatomy at the MAMC.
The center has the following on staff - 10 ENT consultants and 7 registrars who have already completed their master’s degrees; 11 trainees undergoing training for their master’s degree in ENT within the institute; 2 speech therapists, 1 audiologists and 1 audiometrician; and B.Sc. Audiology interns, working at the center and sharing the audiological work load.
- Being attached to the Maulana Azad Medical College, the center offers a three-year post graduate course in ENT as well as a two-year diploma course. Admission to the course is based strictly on merit as per the guidelines of the University of Delhi.
- Training is also provided to students of B.Sc Audiology, coming from the National Institute of Hearing handicap, Delhi.
- Continuation of outreach activities including school screening
- Field testing of community based infant hearing screening model